Wednesday, June 25, 2014

good



There have been battles against mold, fleas, dirt, old smoke, and ticks. There's been a lot of expletives from me juxtaposed with smiles and laughter. There are blisters and calluses and sore muscles and stiff joints. More expletives. More laughter. 

There have been whippoorwills and owls that call out when the sun gets low. There are yellow finches that fly from wildflowers, blues, yellows, oranges, and whites, when the sun starts its climb. Jolie dissects one of the flowers to find that the stalk smells of sweet cantaloupe. There are thick vines that lead to clusters of grapes. 

There are bumblebees and butterflies. There is one push mower that has met its match (and gladly gave in) to nearly two acres of grass, wheat, clover, more flowers. It's gorgeous and wild. 

There are longish drives back and forth. Long work days. Sound sleeps. Dreams. 

I've told this little bit to many, so forgive me as I share it here if you're already in the know. But if you're already in the know, then you already know - How could I not?

I was in the bathroom thinking that maybe I could just prime and paint over the already painted over wallpaper that was there before. There was a tiny piece of paper peeling back, though, so I peeled it back and off. Of course, as wallpaper does, it left the backing there on the wall for me to wet down and peel and scrape off. 
I continued on with this, piece by piece, because after I doubtfully tried to prime over the piece of backing that was stuck to the wall - it bubbled, and so I stripped. I stripped piece after piece after piece. 
Then I pulled a piece of wallpaper off and every bit of it came off. It came off clean to reveal the wood wall behind it. And when I saw it I stopped in motion. The word Good had been written on that wall. It was the only panel of paper in the whole room that did that, and it said Good
I'm a sentimental fool that doesn't really get into religion, and I can't explain what exactly it is that I believe in, or how it all works, but I believe that was a nod from my Grandaddy. 
I took a photo of that wall and will be framing it. 


















-Angie

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...